Thursday, July 22, 2010

July Jitters

As I'm waiting for a favorite TV show to come on, I started thinking about school starting up again soon. I started brainstorming the other day about potential courses for Brandon now that we will be keeping transcripts. I'm so excited about all the things he is interested in learning about. I can't wait to help him dig in!

After I was brought back down to the reality of actually developing courses, I started to think about how this year is different. About this time in years past, I'd see signs posted on the local school's marquee announcing the dates and times for school registration. As I'd drive by every day, I'd see those dates and think about how they are fast approaching. Is homeschooling really working for us? Is this what God wants from our family right now? Would the kids be better off going to public school? Would I be better off if the kids went to public school?

Every July I'd be plagued with these thoughts. Temptations to stray away from the safe path God had been leading us down. I wish I could say that we never caved in to those temptations. We did, in fact, at times.

But this July is different. This July I can say that God has solidified the conviction within Ed and I to follow this path until we come to the end. I can see the finish line from where we are. God has given me a sudden burst of energy to press on and complete the race He has set before me. I know He is faithful to complete the work He has started--not only in our homeschooling endeavors, but also in me.

Thinking of my friends who are new to homeschooling, I pray you will stay the course as long as God is behind you, softly speaking to you, saying, "This is the way...walk in it." And if your eyes wander to the school's marquee this time of year, get out your calendar. Go right to the dates for school registration and write in--in ink--"FIELD TRIP!!!" It doesn't really matter where you go; just go. Rediscover the joys of homeschooling and renew your conviction to press on.

No comments:

Post a Comment